International Student Internship Eligibility
- International students are REQUIRED to meet with the Directorate of International Student & Scholar Advising (DISSA) before applying to an internship and also after accepting the internship. DISSA offers advising, immigration services, and training to support our international students, scholars, and faculty. This is to ensure that all visa requirements are properly met.
- Students MUST enroll in BA395A to earn one credit for a summer internship because CPT, which is not a required part of a degree program, must be credit bearing. Be sure to review the CPT eligibility requirements and steps to authorization.
- Students are REQUIRED to have all necessary paperwork completed by the staff in the Directorate of International Student & Scholar Advising (DISSA).
- Failure to get the appropriate authorizations from DISSA can result in legal issues for the student that could result in deportation in certain cases.
- An internship is NOT a requirement for the curriculum of a Smeal College of Business undergraduate degree program. International students with F-1 or J-1 visas are required to be enrolled in the University with full time status (minimum of 12 credits) in the fall and spring semesters. Because the internship is not a requirement for Smeal students, there is no exception to the visa requirements. This means that a Smeal international student CANNOT accept the following positions:
Fall semester internship
Spring semester internship
- International students are eligible to participate in SUMMER INTERNSHIPS ONLY.
It is your responsibility to speak with the Directorate of International Student & Scholar Advising (DISSA) if you have any questions regarding these expectations, consequences, or surrounding circumstances. We are committed to assisting all students in the pursuit of their career goals.
For more information on searching for a job or internship as an international student, see our Hiring Resources for Smeal International Student packet.
Hiring Resources for International Students
Overwhelmed about finding an internship or job as an international student? This information provides helpful advice and resources on how to begin looking. Learn more here.
Companies That Have Hired Smeal International Students
These lists detail where Smeal international students secured their internships and jobs from 2015-2017 school years as reported in a student survey.
H1-B Visa Facts
Learn more about the costs and likelihood of getting a visa.
Penn State Office of Global Programs
Learn more about the rules and logistics of being employed as an international student.
Students interested in interning abroad have a challenging, exhilarating cultural experience that includes a chance to build work skills, while learning about the working environment of a different country.
Helpful Sites for the Job Search
Scroll through the BCC’s list of job search resources to help narrow down what you are looking for!
Contact the Directorate of International Student & Scholar Advising (DISSA)
410 Boucke Building, University Park, PA 16802
Contact the Business Career Center
114 Business Building, University Park, PA 16802
Phone: 814-863-6161 – Fax: 814-863-9953