The Internship & Job Search Process
There are many ways to land a job or internship that fit with your overall career goals.
- Understand how to articulate your skills, abilities, and experiences and how they relate to the positions you are seeking. Know what makes you a great candidate for the role and showcase how you will add value to the position and company
- Research the companies you are interested in pursuing. You want to be able to speak about the companies specific goals, strategies, values, and accomplishments and why those matter to you.
- Use your network. Building meaningful connections will help you stand out in the recruiting process and allow companies to get a holistic view of your goals, experiences, skills, and accomplishments.
- Have a strong elevator pitch – showcase your personal brand. Need tips on how to create your elevator pitch? Check out this step-by-step handout on how to create a standout pitch. A Word Document version of the resource can be downloaded here.
- Continually update and have your resume reviewed. You can make an appointment with the Business Career Center on Nittany Lion Careers
- Create a strong LinkedIn profile and connect with peers, faculty, staff, recruiters, and alumni to engage in meaningful conversations. Need tips on creating a LinkedIn profile? Check out this video.
- Apply for job and internship posting on Nittany Lion Careers, LinkedIn, Indeed.com
- Develop strong interview skills.
Below are additional resources you can use in your search!
- https://www.wikijob.co.uk/: comprehensive resource website for interview and aptitude test preparation
- Reviews.com: Student Internship Guide
- A Guide to Internships – Finding Hands-On Experience
- LinkedIn Career Explorer: Match careers with skills you already have
In addition to Nittany Lion Careers, these websites can be used to find job and internship opportunities that suit your qualifications and interests!