Career & Corporate Connections Mission Statement:
- To prepare Smeal College of Business students for a lifetime of achievement and societal contribution through experiential learning opportunities that promote the development of professionalism, integrity, leadership, and global perspective in collaboration with employers, alumni, and faculty.
- This mission is carried out in three focus areas:
- Student Employability: Provide student support and development services that enhance employability for transition to the work-place and ultimately lifetime achievement, success, and contributions to society
- Corporate Engagement: Provide supportive, collaborative, and innovative services to connect corporate recruiters and alumni with students to increase career outcomes for all Smeal students
- National Presence: Active engagement at the national level for innovative business career center services and programming through research, committee participation, and public relations strategies
The Smeal College of Business and its members have developed an especially unique brand by establishing the honor code and numerous co-curricular activities. These initiatives provide Smeal students with a built in advantage upon entering the job market. In keeping with this vision, Career and Corporate Connections promotes services and organizations that are vital components of the culture of our college. They embrace the ideals set forth by Dean Whiteman and the Smeal community in order to cultivate the strength of the brand.
The Smeal brand has proven exceptional on the national landscape. According to recruiters surveyed by Businessweek, Smeal consistently ranks among the Top Ten undergraduate business programs. In addition, recruiters surveyed by the Wall Street Journal in September 2010 listed Penn State as #1 when ranking graduates that are the best-trained and educated, and best able to succeed once hired. Smeal takes a great deal of pride in its outstanding students that so greatly influenced this designation. We are here to assist you in reaching your professional goals, and we offer some guidelines to help you best take advantage of what Smeal has to offer.
Engaging in the activities offered by this office requires personal responsibility. Unprofessional conduct (interview and career coaching no shows, reneging on job offers, failing to fulfill existing commitments) has multiple adverse effects.
- It damages the personal brand of the students involved.
- It takes potential opportunities away from other deserving students.
- It wastes time, money, and resources spent by the companies that recruit at Smeal, and it can result in a permanently damaged relationship.
The following lists highlight the college’s expectations for utilizing the internship program, career development services, and Smeal student organizations.
It is your responsibility to speak with the Career & Corporate Connections staff if you have any questions regarding these expectations, consequences, or surrounding circumstances. We are committed to assisting all students in the pursuit of their career goals. Contact the staff immediately if you are unsure what to do or an issue arises.
Interviewing and Job Seeking
Students engage in these activities through the SmealConnect system, Career Fairs, and networking opportunities. Please see the Interviewing and Job Seeking Policies and Repercussions.
Career Development opportunities include one on one career coaching appointments with Career & Corporate Connections staff, recruiters offering appointments on campus, networking/professional development events or through classroom experiences. There are Career Development policies governing these activities
The successful Smeal student organization will operate with respect to formal policies.