Our Sourcing team partner with the business to ensure efficient acquisition of goods and services that enables the commercialization of our medicines, vaccines and Animal Health products. We collaborate internationally and are grouped into center-led categories and regional operating teams.
The Future Talent Program features internships that lasts up to 12 weeks and will include one or more projects. These opportunities can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
Strategic Supplier Management is a rigorous, data-driven methodology which relies upon high quality market intelligence for suppliers, supply markets and supply chains, as well as strategic analysis and reporting of internal business requirements, supplier performance, spend and savings data.
This role will support several facets of the Global Supplier Management Group, specifically Sourcing & Procurement (both category and site) and Supplier Development & Performance Management. The successful candidate: prepares and conducts market intelligence gathering and strategic analysis; pre-negotiation planning; RFIs, RFP/Qs, and e-auctions; quotation analysis and cost modeling; financial solvency analysis, risk assessments, FCPA verification, and other compliance / due diligence assessments; supplier performance monitoring and issue resolution; budget planning process support and ongoing spend, savings, and compliance metrics reporting.
Intern Positions are available in each of the following Sourcing & Procurement areas in Global Human Health as well as Global Animal Health.
Direct Materials Sourcing & Procurement is responsible for the development and implementation of all supplier management strategies and initiatives, driving improvements in cost, supplier performance, and working capital, in support of manufacture and supply of our Company products.
Indirect Sourcing & Operations is responsible for conducting strategic sourcing initiatives across the following categories for all divisions and functions of the company ““ Marketing, Travel & Meetings (Sourcing & Operations), Logistics, Technology, Corporate Services, Site Services, Fleet (Sourcing & Operations) and Externalization.
Research and Development Sourcing & Procurement is responsible for conducting strategic sourcing initiatives in support of drug discovery and development, specifically areas of discovery sciences, pre-clinical development, clinical development, regulatory affairs, and lab supplies and equipment, within our Research and Development Division.
- Support strategic and operating objectives for the procurement function including product sourcing, supply risk management, supplier performance improvement, cost reduction, supplier diversity development, working capital improvement, and supplier relationship management.
- Work with cross functional teams including Legal, Finance, Procure-to-Pay, internal stakeholders, and external suppliers.
- Conduct detailed market analyses looking at facts and data, with the objective of providing deep and meaningful insights.
- Implement procurement efforts and execute tactical procurement processes. Serve as a resource regarding processes, procedures and systems for procurement function.
- Support selection of suppliers to ensure appropriate savings and service levels. Ensure that all legal contract requirements are met. Manage relationships with external contacts to ensure optimal team performance and to take appropriate actions by implementing contract negotiation, communication with suppliers and/or or modifying procedure to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Enforce compliance with all Global Procurement policies and procedures by using a data driven business case approach.
Additional responsibilities are as follows:
- Supplier and Supply Market Analysis ““ To conduct rigorous market intelligence and detailed supplier and supply market analyses, to provide deep and meaningful insight to Sourcing teams.
- Cost Modeling / Cost reduction ““ To construct detailed cost models/purchase price analysis of goods and services that are supplied to our Company. At times, this will require supplier visits to create a complete understanding of the cost structure of suppliers and develop cost reduction opportunities.
- Supplier Performance Management ““ supplier performance monitoring, root cause investigation, issue management, risk assessment and mitigation.
- Strategic Analysis ““ To conduct up to six types of project analysis which transforms the information gathered from 1) and 2) above into insightful, well-structured breakthrough options and opportunities. Examples include Portfolio Analysis, Supplier Referencing, and Day One Sourcing.
- Financial Analysis & Reporting ““ To prepare analysis and reporting of category spend, savings, compliance, and other metrics data on a monthly basis. To support the annual budget / profit planning process for the category at the global level. To maintain financial reporting and management systems (including SAP) with up-to-date data on an ongoing basis.
- Negotiation Planning ““ To create detailed pre-negotiation plans, to lead and participate any prolonged negotiation sessions with suppliers and to conduct post negotiation debriefs and follow through plans.
- Sourcing ““ To create and execute RFIs, RFPs, and e-Auctions, together with subsequent structured information analysis wherever possible using electronic procurement processes.
- Risk Assessment and Mitigation ““ To conduct effective risk assessment (including Financial Solvency Analysis, compliance with FCPA, Business Partner Code of Conduct, etc.) and establish appropriate risk mitigation plans within the supply-base pursuant to our Manufacturing Division’s risk management framework.
- Category Team Membership ““ To be an active member of one or more category teams using the techniques and content created in above as input in the creation of breakthrough strategies delivering cost reduction targets.
- Sharing of Learnings ““ The incumbent will be expected to generate work of world-class quality and to share and transfer this to colleagues throughout GSMG
- Corporate Communications ““ To identify communications opportunities, provide guidance on communications best practices, and identify process improvements. Draft and edit articles, blogs, newsletters, and slides. Be a proactive member of the Change Agent Network.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Candidates must be currently in sophomore or junior level curriculum, pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in business (such as Finance or Management), Supply Chain Management, Manufacturing, Market Research, Communications or a Science-related discipline (Engineering, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry or Bioengineering). Or currently enrolled in an MBA program.
- Candidates must have GPA 3.0
Required Experience and Skills:
- Candidates must be Proficient in Microsoft office suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- Candidates must have strong data collection, analysis and reporting skills.
- Candidates must be excellent project management skills.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Candidates should have superior interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to work successfully on cross functional teams.
- Candidates should have possess excellent verbal and written communication skills including ability to make clear and concise presentations, sensitivity to cultural differences in communication, experience with SharePoint and Enterprise Social Media (specifically Yammer), and familiarity with principles of business communication, marketing and/or journalism.
- Candidates should have ability to work independently with a high degree of flexibility and adaptability to deal with ambiguous and dynamic situations.
- Candidates should be quick learner and motivated to cultivate technical, business and commercial skills by applying their knowledge within our Company’s environment.
- Candidates should have demonstrated excellent academic achievement.
- Candidates should have prior pharmaceutical industry experience or any fortune 500 company experience.
- Candidates should have experience with using SharePoint or other similar collaboration websites.
- Candidates should have experience with The Information Bus Company
- (TIBCO) Spotfire or other data analytic/visualization tools.
- Candidates should have experience with using Excel to manage large data sets.
- Candidates should have knowledge of data collection methods (polls, focus groups, surveys).
Our Support Functions deliver services and makes recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the experience of working at our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Intern/Co-op (Fixed Term)
Flexible Work Arrangements:
1st – Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Requisition ID: R67880