Is your employer asking for verification of your student status? There are three different ways to verify your status:
An academic verification provides confirmation of enrollment status, dates of attendance, and degree(s) conferred. Verifications may be used to confirm enrollment to insurers and lenders and to confirm degree(s) to employers. If you believe you need a notarized copy of your academic verification, please review the information on the Notary Serviceswebsite and follow the instructions provided there.
Penn State’s academic verification services are available to all currently enrolled and former students and to parents of currently enrolled students and the request can be made via eLion, by fax or mail using the academic verification request form or in person at the Registrar’s Office in 112 Shields Building.
Penn State has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to act as its agent for all verification requests from third parties. All insurers, lenders, employers and others who need to verify enrollment and/or degrees of Penn State students must use the National Student Clearinghouse services.
- Academic verifications are not available for students who have requested that their directory information not be released.
- Verifications do not include PSU ID, Social Security number, specific course information, or grades.
- The academic verification reports all completed or in progress degree programs at The Pennsylvania State University. Other academic program notations including minors, options, certificates and non-credit programs are reported on the student’s official academic transcript. (Academic Verifications. (n.d.). Retrieved September 15, 2014.)
A credit verification provides confirmation that a student is able to receive 1.0 credits for an internship/co-op with an organization and that approval for enrollment to the BA395A, the Internship Credit course is available. This is the optional one credit course available to Smeal students to receive academic credit for an internship or co-op. It counts as an elective and is not a support of major credit. This course can be taken multiple times but will only count once toward graduation.
For students to receive a credit verification letter they must complete the following steps:
- must be a Smeal student
- must have your internship/co-op approved by the Office of Career & Corporate Connections (114 Business Building) – if the job was posted in SmealConnect, it is already approved — to view our criteria for receiving credit, visit our internship best practices website for employers.
- must complete the internship acceptance form, marking the “I Need Credit” option
- must pay for the credit (rates vary based on semester standing and in state vs out of state tuition – please check with the Bursar for exact cost)
Occasionally, the academic verification service offered by Penn State Registrar’s Office does not provide information required for specific requests. In these cases, the Smeal Student Records Office (202 Business Building; 814-865-3475) can provided enrollment verification letters to currently enrolled students within the Smeal College of Business. An enrollment verification provides information regarding a student’s acceptance and enrollment to Penn State University as well as their academic college. If enrollment verification letters are to be mailed to 3rd parties, the student must first complete and sign a FERPA release form.