International Student Internship Eligibility
- International students are eligible to participate in SUMMER INTERNSHIPS ONLY. The exception to this is integrated MAcc students completing a spring internship and enrolling in BA495.
- International students are REQUIRED to meet with the Office of International Students & Scholars before seeking an internship & also after obtaining the internship. This is to ensure that all visa requirements are properly met.
- Students MUST enroll in BA395A to earn credit for a summer internship because full-time CPT, which is not a required part of a degree program, must be credit bearing. Be sure to review the CPT eligibility requirements & steps to authorization.
- Students are REQUIRED to have all necessary paperwork completed by the staff in the Office of International Students & Scholars in 410 Boucke Building.
- Student failure to certify their eligibility with the Office of International Students & Scholars can result in legal issues for the student & the company, & it can result in student deportation in certain cases.
- An internship is NOT a requirement for the curriculum of a Smeal College of Business undergraduate degree program. International students with F-1 or J-1 visas are required to be enrolled in the University with full time status (minimum of 12 credits) in the fall and spring semesters. Because the internship is not a requirement for Smeal undergraduate students, there is no exception to the visa requirements. This means that a Smeal international student CANNOT accept the following positions:
- Fall semester internship
- Spring semester internship*
- Spring/Summer co-op
- Summer/Fall co-op
*Please note, students enrolled in the integrated MAcc program are required to have a Spring internship. International students will enroll in BA495 to be able to complete an internship during the Spring semester.
It is your responsibility to speak with the Business Career Center if you have any questions regarding these expectations, consequences, or surrounding circumstances. We are committed to assisting all students in the pursuit of their career goals. Contact the staff if you are unsure what to do or an issue arises.
Staff Contact Information
University Office of Global Programs – International Students & Scholars
410 Boucke Building, University Park, PA 16802
Phone: 814-865-6348 – Fax: 814-865-3336
Smeal College of Business – Business Career Center
114 Business Building, University Park, PA 16802
Phone: 814-863-6161 – Fax: 814-863-9953