For many Penn State students, the pandemic impacted Spring, Summer & Fall 2020 study abroad programs: https://news.psu.edu/story/622560/2020/06/08/academics/global-programs-announces-cancellation-fall-education-abroad#:~:text=UNIVERSITY%20PARK%2C%20Pa.,Eric%20Barron%20on%20June%2015.
There are many ways to stay engaged globally. Check out some of the resources below for more information:
Join a Penn State student organization or program to learn about another culture.
- Smeal Student organizations: https://orgcentral.psu.edu/organizations
- Penn State student organizations: https://orgcentral.psu.edu/organizations
- First-year undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to participate in the Global Programs Foundations in Global Engagement (FiGE) program: https://global.psu.edu/fige
- Sophomore, junior, and senior level students are encouraged to apply to the Global Engagement and Leadership Experience (GELE): https://global.psu.edu/article/global-engagement-and-leadership-experience-gele
- Global Careers Institute: https://global.psu.edu/globalcareersinstitute
- Centre County Fulbright Association is always looking for new members: https://fulbright.org/archive
- The United Nations Association of Centre County is always looking for new members: http://www.unacentrecountypa.org/
The Penn State University Libraries has open Asian Studies guides through the end of September 2020, including Chinese databases, newspapers, and journals about the economy, finance, industry, statistics, foreign trade, etc. This is a great resource for class projects, company research for job applications, and general interest: https://guides.libraries.psu.edu/asianstudies/temporary
Consider adding a minor or certificate to your academic credentials.
- Smeal International Business minor: https://ugstudents.smeal.psu.edu/international-programs/study-abroad/international-business-minor
- Penn State Peace Corps Prep Program: https://studentaffairs.psu.edu/career/peace-corps-prep
- Penn State language minors: https://language-institute.outreach.psu.edu/language-minors/#:~:text=Penn%20State%20University%20Park%20offers,Japanese%2C%20Russian%2C%20and%20Arabic.
- Talk to your academic adviser about adding an international cultures course to your schedule
- LinkedIn Learning courses and certificates. For example: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/developing-cross-cultural-intelligence
Want to learn a new language?
- See listing of foreign language minors above.
- The Penn State Center for Global Studies provides FLAS fellowships to learn foreign languages: https://sll.la.psu.edu/foreign-language-and-area-studies-flas-fellowships
- Consider participating in Global Connections’ conversation partner program: https://www.gc-cc.org/
Apply for a virtual internship “abroad.”
- Talk to the Smeal International Programs Office about opportunities: https://ugstudents.smeal.psu.edu/international-programs
- For example, CIEE plans to offer several virtual internships in Spring 2021: https://www.ciee.org/go-abroad/college-study-abroad/programs/online/virtual-global-internship-8-week
- Consider an internship with Global Programs, the Multicultural Resource Center, Center for Global Studies, or with Global Entrepreneurship Week
Attend a virtual conference to engage with international peers and colleagues.
- Submit a paper/presentation/poster to share research
- Apply for grants or funding: https://global.psu.edu/category/global-programs-travel-grants
Network with Penn State alumni who have worked/lived abroad!
- Connect with alumni
- Smeal Impact Day: https://www.smeal.psu.edu/alumni/events/impact-smeal-day-2
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/
- LionLink: https://psulionlink.peoplegrove.com/
- Attend Humphrey Fellow presentations: https://ed.psu.edu/international-programs/humphrey-fellowship-program
- Did you previously study abroad? Are you an international student? Serve as a Smeal Global Ambassador: https://ugstudents.smeal.psu.edu/international-programs/smeal-global-representatives
- Serve as an International Student Orientation leader through Global Programs to introduce new international students to campus: contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- The University Fellowships Office provides guidance on submitting Fulbright applications: https://ufo.psu.edu/fellowship/fulbright-studyresearch-grants
- Global Business Brigades: https://fundraise.globalbrigades.org/empowered/chapter/pennsylvania-state-university-business-brigades-chapter
- Around the World Embassy Tour (DC): https://www.culturaltourismdc.org/portal/passport-dc1